Oracle server under RHEL 4

Rankin, Kent Kent.Rankin at orau.org
Mon Mar 3 18:51:53 UTC 2008

The install guide lists the dependencies.

If I recall correctly, you need the libaio stuff if you're going to use ASM for disk storage, then most of the rest is compat-* stuff for old libgcc and libstdc++.

It will require a compat-oracle-rhel4 rpm that is just awful.  It will replace your /usr/bin/gcc with a wrapper that includes old gcc 2.96 stuff, and gets overwritten every time you run up2date and /usr/bin/gcc gets replaced.  This is needed whenever you relink the Oracle binaries.  This is an awful approach to taking care of the problem.

--
Kent Rankin
Enterprise Systems Administrator