Oracle server under RHEL 4

Mark Waterhouse mark at dfk-systems.com
Mon Mar 3 20:18:19 UTC 2008

Paul

I completely agree. Almost all of my production server installs start with
the bare minimum - in fact, I then remove more rpms (such as ppp etc.) that
I dont want present in my base install.

Once it has been reduced the minimum, each type of service has a different
base of additional rpms.
Now, today I dont manage any RHEL machines with Oracle 10g on it so the
information below may not be completely accurate, but this is the excerpt
from our RHEL3 kickstart installation file (see attached file).

We do additional removes and configuration changes in the post kickstart.

rpm -e Canna FreeWnn OpenIPMI OpenIPMI-libs apmd aspell-da aspell-de
aspell-es aspell-fr aspell-it aspell-nl aspell-no aspell-pt aspell-sv bg5ps
h2ps isdn4k-utils kon2 kon2-fonts minicom nhpf parted ppp rp-pppoe wvdial
wireless-tools fonts-ISO8859-2 fonts-KOI8-R fonts-KOI8-R-100dpi fonts-hebrew
jisksp14 jisksp16-1990 man-pages-cs man-pages-da man-pages-de man-pages-es
man-pages-fr man-pages-it man-pages-ja man-pages-ko man-pages-pl
man-pages-ru taipeifonts ttfonts-ja ttfonts-ko ttfonts-zh_CN ttfonts-zh_TW
irda-utils NetworkManager pcmcia-cs rm -f /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia.rpmsave

and then do some additional settings - (see attached file).

As for point (4), I think that is a great idea. We are about to undergo a
major change to our Oracle infrastructure and this information would be
invaluable.

Best Regards
Mark Waterhouse
RHCE