How to create a virtual IP/hostname for a 2 nodes cluster

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:14:14 UTC 2009

As this is only a two node cluster, why would you add a load balancer?

LVS will give you a unique ip-address per service that you are running in
the cluster.  I.e. in your case, you'll get 2 fixed ip-addresses (one for
each server) and three virtual addresses (one for each service).
When one of the servers goes down, the services (including the virtual
addresses) running on that server will automatically migrate to the other
server.

There are a number of caveats, though.
1. you need central storage and a cluster-aware filesystem
2. when services fail over to the other node (either because of server
failure or manually), the services are stopped (or crash) on the first
server and are restarted on the second.  I.e. running processes do not
continue running.  I.e. your applications (and end-users) have to know that
when your database fails over, they will have to reconnect.

I have no experience with Oracle iAS, or E-business Suite 11i, but if you
want to cluster Oracle databases, Oracle RAC (Real Application Cluster) is
the way to go.
Undoubtedly, Oracle can at least let you know the best way to add redundancy
for Oracle iAS and E-business Suite 11i.

Kind regards,

Herta

2009/8/10 crypto grid <cryptogrid at gmail.com>

> For an active/active mode, i'd recommend the use of a load balancer in
> the frontend and the use of private per service ip addresses in the
> backend for each node in the cluster.
> Give a look at,
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtual_Server_Administration/
>
> I think you could use LVS in the same cluster nodes.
>
> On 8/10/09, Amos KABORE <amos.kabore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > We have 2 nodes cluster with rhel5.
> >
> > Luci is used to manage our cluster (active/active).
> >

> > Our system includes 3 services (Oracle iAS, Oracle database and
> E-business
> > Suite 11i).
> >
> > We want to create a unique virtual IP/hostname for these services.
> >
> > Is it possible ?
> >

> > How to create a virtual IP/Hostname in our case ?
> >

> > As I'm to new to cluster world, your help will be precious.
> >

> > Thanks
> >

> > amos.kabore at expercosarl.com
> >

> --

"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."