sshd & permissions on home directories

Alex Forrow alex at fav.or.it
Thu Jan 22 11:00:19 UTC 2009

Hi Kim,

Have you seen the 'StrictModes' option in sshd_config?

 From 'man sshd_config':

StrictModes
Specifies whether sshd(8) should check file modes and ownership
of the user’s files and home directory before accepting login.
This is normally desirable because novices sometimes accidentally
leave their directory or files world-writable.  The default is
“yes”.

Obviously wouldn't be ideal to disable, but would allow your users using
RSA to login.

Hope this helps,

Alex