Upgrade from RHEL 2.1 to 5

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 18:58:08 UTC 2009

2009/6/15 Paulo Silva <pjs at eurotux.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a cluster system with RHEL 2.1 AS and I was wondering if it is
> possible to migrate it to RHEL 5 in a single step (direct 2.1 to 5) or
> if I need to do several migrations (2.1 -> 3, 3 -> 4 and 4 -> 5).

In this case, you will want to do a fresh install. The reasons are
myriad (you are going from 2.4.9? and old filesystem to 2.6.18 newer
filesystem is one.. but the other is that partitions always seem to be
too small when you upgrade that far). I would take a test system
install RHEL-5.X and then see what it would take to bring the system
working via backups. You may find that other items like cluster
software etc will need updates to work.

> Thanks
> --
> Paulo Silva <pjs at eurotux.com>