a couple questions from a cluster newbie

Colin van Niekerk Colin.vanNiekerk at mimecast.co.za
Mon Mar 23 06:47:37 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Apologies is anyone has answered this already and I have missed it. This post has been out for a while now.

I would configure three VM's on the Failover box and add the ability to have each server failover separately. This would involve having three load balanced clusters as in the attached, again fixed sized fonts.

To replicate data between the virtual server and the physical server within each cluster I would use DRBD (RAID1 on a network level), you can configure this so that only once the data is committed to disk on both sides does the kernel confirm the write. This will present the system with a new block device and data must only be read and written via this device. As long as your system is 'strong' enough and the link between the servers is fast enough (this would depend on the amount of changed to the data -  how much data would need to be written to the block device on the other end of the network) it will be just like reading and writing to any other block device.

For the backend you could use Conga with luci and ricci to manage the cluster (thinking about ways to avoid pain going forward) but I have not done this in a production environment so I'm not sure about the details.

I'm afriad I have worked very little GFS as well so I can't answer you on that side of things. Maybe the GNBD would be better for the load balanced server replication as well, but as far as I know the main reason you would use GNBD is that it exports the file system to many users and manages locking better between the users which wouldn't help in the pg/ds/ap clusters. Can anyone confirm?

Just so I'm clear on the backend side. It sounds like there is a level of interaction between users and the actual data on the backend servers. Do the users query a process on the storage/processing servers and then that process works on the data and gives the user a result? Or do the users interact with the data directly?

Regards,
Colin van Niekerk