Sendmail alias question

Bill Watson bill at magicdigits.com
Mon Nov 9 22:51:18 UTC 2009

This is probably too far off topic for this list, but hopefully someone will take pity on me and help out. I have tried googling a bunch of times and either get 10,000 off topic answers or none.

When using /etc/aliases to expand a user group such as

folks:  me, you, them, us, yall

this seems to work wonderfully. Unfortunately a little too wonderfully.

What is the easiest (if any) way to restrict this alias group to

1) folks on the same subnet (internal use only) - localhost/etc

or

2) folks at least claiming to be of a certain domain (mydomain.com)

I have found that if we fail to BCC the sent mail, then the spammers pick up the group name and then their junk gets replicated with great efficiency. The restrictions would try to help reduce the junk mail.

Thank you in advance,

Bill Watson

bill at magicdigits.com