Oracle wants to install YAST on RHEL

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 20:35:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Shaughnessy, Kevin
<kshaughnessy at carrols.com> wrote:
> Our Red Hat systems are dedicated Oracle DB engines clustered with Oracle’s
> RAC software.  The DBA administers via the Oracle Enterprise Manager GUI,
> which now wants to install Oracle’s port of YAST.  It contains over a 100
> .RPM modules.  From the packages.list, in sorted order:

> Your opinions on adding YAST?
>
> I have no trashable systems and no bare-metal restore capabilities.

If you have no trashable systems then you shouldn't do this. I mean
its like saying "Hey lets inject ourselves with this stuff I found on
the street just because its something new." Then I would give your DBA
a nice wedgie by letting him know that there is no recovery mechanism
if he screws up. After that its time to get those features to be able
to plan forward.

I am not saying that Yast couldn't be a big win (looking at the code
though they havent put anything in there repository port in close to a
year).. but one needs to
1) Know why you are doing something
2) Know how it works
3) Know how to go back.

If you can't then its a grenade of fail, and you are being asked to
pull the pin.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning