Rollback Patches

Michael Weber mweber at alliednational.com
Tue Sep 8 15:49:52 UTC 2009

Good morning, Christian.

Ghost is your friend!  Before I do something that is potentially destructive to my systems, I clone the OS partition on a cheap drive.  That way I can always put it back EXACTLY as it was.

If you don't have a license for Ghost, grab a copy of Knoppix and use the dd command to image the drive onto another location.

That has saved my bacon more than once when an OS upgrade failed.

My $0.02.

-Michael

>>> "Christian Campbell" <ccampbell at brueggers.com> 9/8/2009 10:27 AM >>>
What is the supported method for doing patch rollbacks?  I'm attempting
to upgrade some RPMs via up2date, and need a back-out strategy if it
breaks our core application, without having to restore from backup.

I see a deprecated --rollback which once did transactional rollbacks.
Is there a replacement command or method?

Thanks,

Christian

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any associated
file(s) may contain privileged, confidential or proprietary information
or be protected from disclosure under law ("Confidential Information").
Any use or disclosure of this Confidential Information, or taking any
action in reliance thereon, by any individual/entity other than the
intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  This Confidential
Information is intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you have
received this Confidential Information in error and have an obligation
to promptly inform the sender and permanently destroy, in its entirety,
this Confidential Information (and all copies thereof).  E-mail is
handled in the strictest of confidence by Allied National, however,
unless sent encrypted, it is not a secure communication method and may
have been intercepted, edited or altered during transmission and
therefore is not guaranteed.