RHEL6 as a NAS?

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Wed Nov 23 17:28:47 UTC 2011

On Friday, November 18, 2011, david klein wrote:
> You may find that FreeIPA in RHEL 6,2 is a pretty painless way to setup
> Kerberos, LDAP and NFSv4, and integrates them nicely. This would allow you
> to have the benefits of central authentication and secure filesystem
> export.
>
> The big difference between NFS and ISCSI is that NFS exports a filesystem,
> while ISCSI exports a raw disk slice or the virtual equivalent thereof.
> Both are ready for prime-time, though NFS has had a much longer history, so
> it is very mature.
>
> While NFS does not require Kerberos, it benefits *A* *LOT* from a
> centralized identity/authentication/authorization.

considering we have no user accounts on machines and that space will mostly be
used by services - central auth is no priority. What we're really shooting for
is speed and some level of security (encryption?).

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330