adding to fstab

Truhn, Chad Chad.Truhn at bowheadsupport.com
Fri Jan 4 19:52:38 UTC 2013

I would say "It depends".  I am not an expert here, just my own opinion from my experiences.

The benefit of using the label is that you are not 'hard coding' the system to mount a disk at a specified location or can be used as an alias of sorts.  Using a label can be more flexible in dynamic environments where things can change.

For example:

There could be an environment where USB storage is randomly inserted in the system and rather than have the user's work through fdisk and decide which drive is which, label each partition with a label and have them mount it that way.

I have seen FC attached drives from a SAN go a bit crazy with which device name they show up as that day (sdX, sdY, sdZ) due to the order they were loaded in and labels can also help in that scenario (though that is just a workaround to the 'real' issue).

If you are on a desktop system and don't notice any problems I would say that you can use whatever your heart desires.  I'm interested to hear if anyone else has other things to say as well since I have never really had a reason to use blkid.

Chad