adding to fstab

david root at nachtmaus.us
Sat Jan 5 04:10:34 UTC 2013

Using labels allows flexibility, and prevents you from getting "surprised"
if your disks or disk slices get renumbered (for example, if you added a new
device to the middle of a SCSI bus or LUNs on a SAN were scanned in in a
different order). Additionally, labels help make your vfstab more
self-documenting. Even better, don't deal with raw disk slices; give the
disk over to a volume manager like Linux LVM or VxVM and give yourself the
ability to grow and migrate filesystems as needed, and to maintain a
consistent abstraction layer.

-DTK