Understanding retry value in Apache Load Balancer Configuration

Zama Ques queszama at yahoo.in
Mon Jan 4 09:23:46 UTC 2016

Hi ,

   We are using mod_proxy to balance load between our backend servers . We have different
setup and some of the backend servers either runs on tomcat\jboss. The balancer configuation
 is as follows
BalancerMember http://server1:21080 min=1 max=1000 loadfactor=1 retry=1 timeout=240 route=tc_server1
 BalancerMember http://server2:21080 min=1 max=1000 loadfactor=1 retry=1 timeout=240 route=tc_server2
BalancerMember http://server3:21080 min=1 max=1000 loadfactor=1 retry=1 timeout=240 route=tc_server3
The issue for us is that once a backend server is in error state, further requests are still getting forwarded to that server. Is it because retry was set to only 1 sec in our configuration? What does actually retry specify. Does that mean that once a host is in error state, do not send further requests to that server till the number of seconds was set to retry value. If that is the case setting the retry value to a higher number can be a better option for us. We can set it to a value which will be enough to resolve the bad node.

Please suggest .

Thanks in AdvanceZaman