[rest-practices] Atom as a generic container? [was Re: Media types]

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Apr 16 20:38:25 UTC 2010

Eoghan Glynn wrote:

>  > On one hand maybe somebody wants to listen for updates to VMS.
>  >
>  > On the other hand, I don't see the point of using Atom for returning
> collections.  It was written as a format for feeds not a collection format.
>

> Hi Bill,
>
> So just to clarify, the original idea wasn't so much to wrap the VMs
> collection in an Atom feed, but rather to use a feed to allow clients,
> having previously executed a query over the VM collection, to receive
> lightweight notifications of changes to the set of known VMs and their
> status. For example a new VM appears, the status of another VM changes,
> a third VM goes away, etc.
>
> This would allow clients to update their previous result set, without
> necessarily re-issueing the original query. It would of course depend on
> the feed being filtered on the client-side according the original query
> constraints.
>
> To ensure that only genuinely fresh updates were received, idea was to
> use delta encoding with the cleint setting the "A-IM: feed" header so
> that it recieves only those entries that were updated later than the
> If-Modified-Since header (set to the timestamp of the original query or
> the last GET on the Atom feed, which-ever is the later). It was an open
> question whether the RESTeasy Atom provider supported delta encoding in
> this way. I'll need to check this out, unless you know off the top of
> your head?

Resteasy's atom support is just a bunch of JAXB classes.  The Content
class has a bit more logic in that it allows you to extract
application-specific JAXB content.  That's it.

If a content handler was written for this delta type you're talking
about, then I could probably easily modify the lightweight Atom classes
in RESTEasy to extract the object you're interested in.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat