[rest-practices] Links for actions

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed May 12 05:43:21 UTC 2010

> From: rest-practices-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:rest-practices-
> bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of David Lutterkort
> One more issue from Deltacloud Core: right now, when a client gets the
> details about an instance, we indicate the possible actions on that
> instance like this:
>
>         <actions>
>           <link href="/api/instances/inst1/reboot" rel="reboot"/>
>           <link href="/api/instances/inst1/stop" rel="stop"/>
>           <link href="/api/instances/inst1" rel="destroy"/>
>         </actions>
[IH] just wondering, so if I ask for a list of 500 instances, I will get
all actions possible on all instances 500 times as well? isn't this mixing
introspection with data? Unless I'm introspecting the web service, I'm
implying I actually know what the possible actions are (i.e., I already
wrote the code that uses them, and needed this data only during
development time, but I don't need it during runtime[1]).

[1] unless permissions are implied, and for each instance I can get a
different list of <actions>.