Re: [rhelv5-list] XFS with RHEL5?

Jos Vos wrote:
On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:52:02PM +0100, Joe (Mobile) wrote:

and night trying to fix it, while the use of an uncertified system opens up the
possibility of refusal of support and shoving the blame to us (meaning my team
and me). It might be possible that the use of e.g. CentOS due to its binary
compatibility to RHELcould be judged as valid by a court, but that would take
months, which is unacceptable in a restore scenario and not even guaranteered.

100% binary compatibility can *never* exist for whatever RHEL rebuild, so

I think the question is binary API compatibility, and if that can't be done, then RH can't updates its own kernel and libraries.

In reality, the chance that a RHEL rebuild is causing an incompatibility
problem is very small, but it's my experience that big companies will
always try to blame you and/or the rebuild OS, unless proven otherwise.

To certify _my_ software on Joe's Clone of Fred's Linux distro, I would have to test on Joe's Clone. Not having done so, of course I won't say I have.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait