[rhelv5-list] EXT3-fs: unrecognized mount option "defaultsi" or missing value, changed back to "defaults" but still can't boot!!

I ran a kickstart and the system booted up fine for the first time.
Then I was in the process of implementing quotas and it looks like I
left an extra 'i' character after "defaults" on the first /etc/fstab
line:

/dev/myvg/rootvol       /                       ext3
defaultsi,usrquota,grpquota        1 1

so that I got the following error on boot:

EXT3-fs: unrecognized mount option "defaultsi" or missing value
mount: error mounting /dev/root/ on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

To try to fix it, I booted up knoppix, vgscan, vgchange -a y, mount
/dev/myvg/rootvol /mnt/rootvol, and then edited the
/mnt/rootvol/etc/fstab file deleting the extra 'i'. I rebooted but I
still get the error above. I even copied the /etc/fstab from another
working RHEL5 system and I still get the same error as above. Also
cleaned out /etc/mtab but it didn't help. What's going on? Where is it
getting the "defaultsi" option from? It definitely isn't in /etc/fstab
or i'm hallucinating and vim isn't working properly because /i didn't
return anything in the file! help!