Re: [rhelv5-list] RHEL and CentOS

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Harry Songeek wrote:
Good Day,

Could any of you please tell me how to migrate from RHEL 5 to CentOS 5 or
5.1

I tried to google and found some solution but no luck none of them worked
for me :(

Heh. seems kinda off-topic for the list; it's certainly not a supported upgrade path. I would format and do a clean install of your new OS; that would be safest. If you have an existing redhat install w/ expired redhat support and you just want to use the free repos, I _believe_ you can just change your repos.d dir- add a file, say, /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS5.repo and add the CentOS repos... But I certanly wouldn't do that on any server I would feel bad about messing up. A fresh install is still your best bet.

my centos5.repo file looks like this:

(I think the variables will be set properly by rhel, but I am not sure)

[base]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo
=os
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

#released updates
[updates]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo
=updates
#baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5

#packages used/produced in the build but not released
[addons]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Addons
mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo
=addons