Re: [rhelv5-list] EXT3-fs: unrecognized mount option "defaultsi" or missing value, changed back to "defaults" but still can't boot!!

On 04/12/07 00:41, t35t0r wrote:
I ran a kickstart and the system booted up fine for the first time.
Then I was in the process of implementing quotas and it looks like I
left an extra 'i' character after "defaults" on the first /etc/fstab
line:

/dev/myvg/rootvol       /                       ext3
defaultsi,usrquota,grpquota        1 1

so that I got the following error on boot:

EXT3-fs: unrecognized mount option "defaultsi" or missing value
mount: error mounting /dev/root/ on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

To try to fix it, I booted up knoppix, vgscan, vgchange -a y, mount
/dev/myvg/rootvol /mnt/rootvol, and then edited the
/mnt/rootvol/etc/fstab file deleting the extra 'i'. I rebooted but I
still get the error above. I even copied the /etc/fstab from another
working RHEL5 system and I still get the same error as above. Also
cleaned out /etc/mtab but it didn't help. What's going on? Where is it
getting the "defaultsi" option from? It definitely isn't in /etc/fstab
or i'm hallucinating and vim isn't working properly because /i didn't
return anything in the file! help!

the /etc/fstab mount options get copied into the initrd, run "mkinitrd" in the rescue boot (with correct options for your kernel etc) and you should be fine.

(This had bitten me in the past for things such as "nodiratime" - which plain "mount" would grok, but not the reduced-feature-set mount inside the initrd..)

Regards
Jan