Re: [rhelv5-list] RHEL and CentOS Summary

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 16:51 +1000, Harry Songeek wrote:
> Thank you very much for all the help :)
>
> I have successfully changed from rhel 5 to centos 5
> Thanks
>
> Harry

Harry,

If you followed the instructions of installing centos-release and yum
update, you don't have Red Hat or CentOS on your machine.  You have a
hybrid of RPMs, some built by Red Hat and some built by CentOS.  Going
forward, who knows how supportable that will be by the CentOS community.

I would still heed the advice of re-installing from scratch.  This way
you have all CentOS binaries and nothing from Red Hat is left.
Theoretically, CentOS is compatible with Red Hat since they're built
from the same source, but who knows if they're built with the exact same
toolchain.  I know RHEL 3 and possibly RHEL 4 were built with
proprietary toolchains that were not available to the public.  To be on
the safe side, re-install.  :)

/Brian/

--
       Brian Long                             |       |