Re: [rhelv5-list] Re: Berkeley DB version mismatch

Once upon a time, Brian Hechinger <brian hechinger jefferson edu> said:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> >OpenLDAP (and rpm, mysql, and maybe some other "heavy" users of db4)
> >internalizes db4 for compatibility and stability.  IIRC this is actually
> >the recommended way of using db4 in a project (not always a good thing
> >when it comes to updates and such though).
> >
> I can't say I agree at all with that recommendation.

Take it up with SleepyCat (or now Oracle I guess).  I believe it is the
recommendation in the db4 documentation (IIRC the justification is in
there as well)

> >>Why is db4.4 not in the repo?  This is rather irritating as I can't use
> >>the db utils on my ldap databases.
> >
> >The correct utils are included with OpenLDAP.  Try slapd_db_checkpoint,
> >slapd_db_archive, etc.
> >
> And this is why.

I don't understand what you mean here.  You don't like that the tools
are included?

For good or bad, Berkeley DB releases have not always forward or
backward compatible (in terms of API, ABI, and on-disk format).  When
OpenLDAP has changed BDB versions, upgrades have been a problem, so it
is much more stable for OpenLDAP to pick a version and stick with it
until there is a major reason to change.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>