[rhelv5-list] Re: Re: /etc/named.conf link removed

Once upon a time, Bill Watson <bill magicdigits com> said:
> I do and did have ROOTDIR as indicated and yet named fails on boot.
>
> I still get:
> [root helmethouse init.d]# service named start
> Locating /var/named/chroot//etc/named.conf failed:
>                                                            [FAILED]
> [root helmethouse init.d]#
>
> /etc/named.conf link to /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf still does not
> exist, and appears to be needed.

Do you have a /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf?

I'm looking at the init script, and the source of the above message
means that:

- /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf was not readable and
- you either have OPTIONS="-c /etc/named.conf" or
  /var/named/chroot/etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf also does not exist

I just recently set up a new RHEL 5 (5.1) server with bind and had no
problems.  It isn't on-line at the moment though so I can't double check
it, but I just installed bind and bind-chroot in a mock shell (chroot
environment) and I got no /etc/named.conf (file or symlink).  I get the
above error message when I don't have a /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
but it goes away as soon as I create one.

The only odd thing about that (and it may be a bug in rpm?) is that
there is a 0 byte /etc/named.conf in the bind RPM but it doesn't end up
in the installed filesystem in my mock chroot.  Weird.  However, it
probably isn't a big deal, since you have to create a named.conf for
bind to be useful.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>