Re: [rhelv5-list] MegaRAID card performance

On 12/5/07, Erik Bussink <mailinglist bussink ch> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 22:17 +1100, Karl Latiss wrote:
> I'm looking for an 8 port SATA RAID card and looking at some of the LSI
> MegRAID SAS/SATA products. Does anyone have any experience to share with
> these cards?

I've used a 4 Port LSI MegaRAID 150-4 without issues under RHEL4 &
RHEL5. But I recommend that you think about a SAS RAID Controller. SAS
RAID Controllers can in most case handle SAS drives as well as SATA
drives (SATA specification being a subset of SAS specification, and
using the same cabling system).

Also make sure that you're RAID Card can handle the size of volumes you
need.

<bias>
I've found that the HP SmartArray P600 (PCI-X 133Mhz) cannot handle
volumes larger than 2TB. So I could not create a RAID5 using 3x750GB
disks.

I'm now using an HP SmartArray P800, using SAS Drives for the operating
system, and SATA Drivers for large-data storage.

In addition, I really like the HP SmartArray controller shell tools to
see the status of my RAIDs.
</bias>

3ware has excellent raid controllers too, best of all the driver is already in the kernel.  The LSI drivers might be there already too, not sure.  I wouldn't want to use third party drivers anymore, now that rhel5 requires the module to build exactly to the kernel revision, you'd have a hard time ever updating the kernel.