Re: [rhelv5-list] MegaRAID card performance

On 12/5/07, Bill Watson <bill magicdigits com> wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of solarflow99
3ware has excellent raid controllers too, best of all the driver is already in the kernel.  The LSI drivers might be there already too, not sure.  I wouldn't want to use third party drivers anymore, now that rhel5 requires the module to build exactly to the kernel revision, you'd have a hard time ever updating the kernel.

Just yesterday I re-re-re-reinstalled RedHat 5.0 from their disty CD's and my  3ware was *NOT* in the kernel. I had to get the correct driver from the 3ware website and needed the help of 2 3ware technicians to choose the correct driver. It took the techs a couple times each to properly guess which driver was proper. They did seem happy to help me out, and I did feel better that it wasn't intuitively obvious to the casual observer. Maybe due to me using the 5.0 64bit DVD the need for a driver changed from your experience.

Bill Watson

ya, that is interesting.  From what I knew 3ware was probably the best supported.  I used rhel 4 x86_64 and never had any problem.