Re: [rhelv5-list] RHEL5 and missing files using automount and ssh annoing password queries

If you're logging *into* a RHEL5.1 system with the "stock" kernel, then you'll see this problem because the first time your home directory tries to mount (to read the .ssh dir to get the keys) you get the ENOENT error from the kernel and so ssh is falling back to password mode. The retry works because the second mount attempt works fine.

Upgrade your 5.1 system's kernel to 2.6.18-53.1.4 or later and the problem should go away.

If you're seeing this problem logging *into* a RHEL5.0 system, then this may be some other issue, because 5.0 did not have the particular bug mentioned above. But 5.0 was pretty sketchy, IMHO. NFS/autofs problems, Xen problems, etc. I'm avoiding 5.0 and starting out with 5.1 directly (with the updated -53.1.4 kernel).

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Silicon Design Division             Cell:  (512) 791-0686