From: rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com]
On Behalf Of Jarod Wilson
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:09 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] RHEL 5 --> RHEL 5.1

Brandon Hutchinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> From a package perspective, will a system built with RHEL 5 media and
> another with RHEL 5.1 media be identical after they are updated
> against RHN channels? In this case, we're only using the
> rhel-i386-server-5 (core server) RHN channel.
>
> Would this also be the case with previous RHEL releases? For example,
> would RHEL 4 AS and RHEL 4 AS Update 6 produce the same system after
> the packages are fully updated?

In theory, yes. However, if you were to make any changes to any config files
before updating, you might wind up with .rpmnew and .rpmorig, etc. config
files laying about on the updated system, and its possible something will
get set up slightly different by a newer installer vs. the original
installer plus updates (can't think of anything off the top of my head, but
the handling of certain hardware does occasionally change -- maybe something
like NIC ordering on a specific platform).

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson redhat com