RE: [rhelv5-list] vncserver

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:17 -0800, Bill Watson wrote:
> OK, with vnc functional, now I wish to push my luck..... Is there an elegant
> way to teach a 'stock' RedHat system where the GUI is on the console and use
> vnc to either take over that session or to have a session of its own that
> looks just like the console (complete with the Applications, Places, and
> Systems drop down menus)?
>
> With what little I know about startx, it seems it may be an important part
> of this idea, but I find myself without enough knowledge to get it done.

I'm a little unsure about the exact question, but if you wanting to
control the actual console (similar to the behavior of VNC on Windows)
then you can just edit your xorg.conf file as follows:

In the Module section make sure the "vnc" module is loaded as so:

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "vnc"     <--- This is what I added to my config
EndSection

If you want a password for vnc access (you probably do) then add the
following to the screen section:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        Option     "passwordFile" "/etc/vnc/vncpasswd" <--- This line
EndSection

Obviously you'll need to create the "vncpasswd" file with the
"vncpasswd" command and you can put the file pretty much anywhere.  For
the example above I create the /etc/vnc directory and then ran:

vncpasswd /etc/vnc/vncpasswd

Once this is done restart the X server on the host (I usually just "kill
gdm-binary") and when it restarts VNC should be listening on screen 0.

We use this all the time in cases where an operator is at a console and
needs help I can use VNC to see exactly what he sees on the console.

If you want multiple VNC console or just a separate VNC server which
behaves exactly like the console you can also easily modify gdm.conf so
that gdm starts a second (or more) server(s) happily waiting at the
login prompt.

Later,
Tom