[rhelv5-list] Upgrading packages from other sources; e.g. dovecot

Hi,

the latest version of dovecot in RH El 5.1 is 1.0 Releas 1.2.rc15.el5
which is somehow "old". As I do have problems debugging one problem, I
asked on the dovecot mailinglist for support and thay recomend to update
to a newer version.

So how to procede? I have tried to rebuild the Fedora Core 8 Dovecot RPM
dovecot-1.0.7-2 without errors; but will an installation of this package
break something in the RH configuration?

BTW: What is the red hat's path to update packages like dovecot?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Regards Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz reinicke filmakademie de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Christoph Palmer, MdL, Minister a.D.

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt