[rhelv5-list] Re: Registering virtual servers with RHN?

Hello,

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:51:33 -0800, Collins, Kevin [Beeline] wrote:
> 	I was under the impression that by have an entitlement for RHEL5
> I was also entitled to register up to 4 virtual systems with the same
> license. Is this incorrect? When I attempt to register a virtual running
> on a physical server that is already registered, I am told I have no
> more subscriptions.

I was also rather confused by this. And I find it strange how little the
official docs say about this.

In some knowledge base article (I think it was), I found that you need to
run rhn-profile-sync on the dom0 (the server hosting the guests) before
RHN realizes that you have virtual guests on the system; so I run this
regularly while installing a new domU, not exactly knowing how it works.

Also, I found that I needed to change the RHN settings for the dom0,
explicitly adding a virtualization sub-channel (I've forgotten the name)
to it before I could install all the relevant software on the dom0.

--
Regards,
Troels Arvin <troels arvin dk>