RE: [rhelv5-list] named (dns) crashing

Hi David,

-----Original Message-----
From: David Richards [mailto:davidr skyforge net]
Sent: 14 December 2007 11:15
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: [rhelv5-list] named (dns) crashing

> Also when this server died, people from the outside were not able to
> access our sites/services, even tho we have 2 dns servers. So my other
> question is how come the
> other dns server didn't answer their queries.

Use www.dnsreport.com to check on your domain status regarding DNS.  Were the websites running on the same box as the DNS server also?  Even if both DNS servers went down, people should still be able to get to your website if the records were cached in another resolver - this is especially true if the records have long TTL values, and they have visited the site before, or are using DNS servers with large caches (eg some large ISP DNS resolvers).

Thanks.
Andrew.

--
allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE.
Registered in England No. 02933191. UK VAT Reg. No. 666 9148 88.

Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041.
Website: www.allpay.net
Email: enquiries allpay net

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the allpay.net Information Security Manager at the number above.