[rhelv5-list] automount issues in EL5

I have upgraded several of my Dell servers to EL5 from 3 and 4 and am noticing that on the EL5 machines the automounts fail the first time with “so such file or directory”  but then they will mount.  This is the only change I made to the servers and the network is rock solid GigE to a Netapp with only one switch hop and no routing.  These servers and netapp are on a stable sun-based NIS environment and I do not see any other indications of network issues.  I have the latest updates a/o a week or so ago.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening now?

thanks