Re: [rhelv5-list] A way to 'yum' in the kernel source

On Dec 18, 2007 9:45 AM, Ben <bda20 cam ac uk> wrote:
> Can anyone please tell me what the neatest, most hands-off way of getting
> and installing the kernel source is please under RHEL5?
>
> I've tried doing
>
> 1) yum install kernel-source
>         No joy
>
> 2) yum install yum-utils ; yumdownloader --source kernel
>         Also no joy
>
> Neither worked.  Suggestions appreciated!

# cat /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel-source.repo
[rhel-source]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Source
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/$releasever/en/os/SRPMS/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

Adding something like the above seems to make yumdownloader work
obtaining the source from the Red Hat ftp site. I don't know any way
to obtain it from RHN using command line tools currently.

It might not be necessary to install kernel source to do what you
describe, kernel-devel is typically all that is required to build
modules ... but obtaining source for the kernel or for other packages
is useful from time to time anyway.