Re: [rhelv5-list] A way to 'yum' in the kernel source

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, John Summerfield wrote:

Ben wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Ian_G_Wilson Dell com wrote:

yum install kernel-devel

You'll note that this does not install the kernel _source_. Which is what I need. The kernel-devel stuff and the kernel-headers aren't enough. As far as I'm aware anyway. Installing kernel-devel does not

It _is_ supposed to be enough for building kernel modules.

give you /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec for example.

Why do you need that?

I have built other kernel modules, madwifi for example, but I don't recall needing the kernel spec file.

mpt-status apparently currently needs the kernel source:

http://www.drugphish.ch/~ratz/mpt-status/ReleaseNotes

As I'm not terribly au fait with building stuff I'm assuming it needs the source of the lsi/mpt/fusion drivers to compile... However I've just tried the RPM (release candidate, not final 1.2.0 version unfortunately):

http://www.drugphish.ch/~ratz/mpt-status/RPMS/1.2.0_RC7/mpt-status-1.2.0_RC7-3.i386.rpm

and that seems to work if you install it, then do

[root ziggy tmp]# echo "alias char-major-10-220 mptctl" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
[root ziggy tmp]# /sbin/modprobe mptctl
[root ziggy tmp]# mknod /dev/mptctl c 10 220
[root ziggy tmp]# mpt-status
ioc0 vol_id 0 type IM, 2 phy, 68 GB, state OPTIMAL, flags ENABLED
ioc0 phy 0 scsi_id 0 SEAGATE  ST373207LC       0002, 68 GB, state ONLINE, flags NONE
ioc0 phy 1 scsi_id 1 SEAGATE  ST373207LC       0002, 68 GB, state ONLINE, flags NONE

So, that'll do.

Thanks for the help.

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.