Re: [rhelv5-list] A way to 'yum' in the kernel source

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Tom G. Christensen wrote:

Ben wrote:
mpt-status apparently currently needs the kernel source:

http://www.drugphish.ch/~ratz/mpt-status/ReleaseNotes

As I'm not terribly au fait with building stuff I'm assuming it needs the source of the lsi/mpt/fusion drivers to compile...

Indeed it does.

Phew, at least I'm not going nuts.

I had a quick look and 1.2.0 builds fine on el2 and el3, on el4+ it's not possible to build it without jumping through hoops to get at the kernel source.

So you're saying you don't need the kernel source (i.e. only devel and headers packages) for el2.1 and el3? Curious. I said with my initial post (I think) it's easy to get the el4 kernel source sorted in an automatable manner:

up2date --get-source kernel
rpm -Uvh /var/spool/up2date/kernel-*.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9
mv linux-2.6.9 /usr/src/
cd /usr/src
ln -s ./linux-2.6.9 linux

So that's not a problem.  It's el5 that's giving me woes.

The el3.i386 binary seems to work fine on el4.x86_64 though so perhaps that is a solution for you.

Well my target OS is el5 (32 and 64 bit) rather than el4, but they're both 2.6 kernels so you may be right. As it is the RPM I mentioned in a previous message seems to work on el5 (32 bit thus far, my 64 bit server is currently DOA) so I'm just trying to find out from the author if the RC7 suffix to the RPM's name means it's not the same code as the 1.2.0 source tarball. If there's no appreciable difference then I'll stick with that!

Thanks for the work,

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.