Re: [rhelv5-list] Tale of 2 nic cards

Bill Watson wrote:
I'm looking for further things I can do to troubleshoot my network issue.
Basically I have 2 NIC's on my motherboard - one for LAN one for WAN. When I
reboot my server, the WAN (eth0) comes up, but the LAN does not. In the
ifconfig info, the inet address for the LAN does not show. I type ifup eth1
and all is OK. ONBOOT=yes is set for both. The one that doesn't come up also
has an entry for NETWORK and BROADCAST. Since everything was set from the
GUI network config or the install DVD, I'm not sure why eth0 doesn't have
these values. Currently eth1 does not have a gateway set, but earlier tests
that also lit one lan at a time did have it set - no difference. All I can
think of listing is shown below my sig.

Check the configuration on the LAN switch port that you plug into.  If spanning
tree is enabled, the switch will wait about 40 seconds after startup before
allowing regular traffic to flow.   So it fails at boot, but works later on.
If this is it, a couple ways to fix it:
  1) try to config the switch port for "fast spanning tree" (might work)
  2) turn off spanning tree on that switch port (will work - just don't create
     any network loops)
  3) Hook a cheap hub between the switch and host.  The hub keeps the electrical
     connection up, so the switch doesn't see that the host rebooted.

Hope this helps.