Re: [rhelv5-list] symlinks in /dev, device-mapper and udev

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Hugh Brown wrote:

> Shane Williams wrote:
> > So, does anyone have a way that I can create something like
> > /dev/home_volume that points to /dev/mapper/whatever, and does it in a
> > way so that when a user runs "quota -v" or "df -k" they see
> > /dev/home_volume instead?  Alternately, can someone point me to some
> > decent documentation for device-mapper.  I can't seem to find much
> > more than the man page talks about.
> >
> > Never thought I'd long for the days of a static /dev...
> >

> As a different approach, you could create the volume group with a
> meaningful name, ditto for the logical volumes.
>
> For example, you could create the volume group as HomeVG instead of as
> VolGroup01.

Good point.  I thought of that before Christmas and then promptly
forget it.  This is definitely a plan B option.

I'm hoping to maintain the /dev/home_volume, /dev/mail_volume,
etc. naming scheme because that's what currently exists on the RHEL 3,
and all our docs refer to them that way.

--
Shane Williams
Coordinator of Information Technology & Systems Administrator