Re: [rhelv5-list] symlinks in /dev, device-mapper and udev

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, shrek-m gmx de wrote:

> shrek-m gmx de schrieb:
> > Shane Williams schrieb:
> >
> >> I'm hoping to maintain the /dev/home_volume, /dev/mail_volume,
> >> etc. naming scheme because that's what currently exists on the RHEL 3,
> >> and all our docs refer to them that way.
> >>

> > not exactly the same but:
> > iirc under fc3+ you could copy the vmware-modules to
> > /etc/udev/devices/*  because they were lost while reboot.
> > i do not know if this works but you could try to create your symlinks
> > in  /etc/udev/devices/*
>
> i could not resist, at least under fc7 it is ok with raid devices
>
> # mkdir /etc/udev/devices
> # ln -s /dev/md2 /etc/udev/devices/test_md2
> # init 6
>
> # ll /dev/test_md2
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 29. Dez 12:46 /dev/test_md2 -> /dev/md2

I've been playing with udev for a while, and didn't realize you could
do that.  It works on RHEL5 just as you showed.  Unfortunately, tools
like quota, df, mount, etc. still display the "real" device name (that
is, what the symlink is pointing to.  This seems to be true regardless
of whether the device is LVM or a regular partition.

Now, I did manage to create a udev rule that creates an alternate name
for a device (in this case sda3) that is not a link (which I thought
was actually not possible, and I wonder if it's a good idea). When
mounted with the alternate device name, it shows up as such in quota,
df, etc.  So, if I drop LVM I can do what I want.

Any other ideas?  What could go wrong if I re-enabled udev detection
of the device-mapper devices?

--
Shane Williams
Coordinator of Information Technology & Systems Administrator