Re: [rhelv5-list] what package may I need?

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 06:53 +0800, jetspeed wrote:
> Hi,all
> 	I use Mvapich2 0.9.8, on PowerPC, RHEL4 , when I use mpicc to compile hpl, I got many errors as below:

Hi,

You're using RHEL4. This is a RHEL5 list (RHEL5 includes glibc 2.5)...
so YMMV

> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich2-0.9.8-15/lib/libmpich.a(malloc.o)(.text+0x4ac0): unresolvable R_PPC64_REL24 relocation against symbol `pthread_mutex_trylock@@GLIBC_2.3'
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/mpi/gcc/mvapich2-0.9.8-15/lib/libmpich.a(malloc.o)(.text+0x4b10): unresolvable R_PPC64_REL24 relocation against symbol `pthread_mutex_unlock@@GLIBC_2.3'
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [dexe.grd] Error 1

Is that the only error? Are there any errors above in the actual
compilation? The reason I ask is that I'd expect errors before the
linking stage.

The pthread functions I think are provided by libpthread.so which is
provided by glibc-devel, so you should definitely have those things. Is
there any chance you are compiling against the ppc64 library but linking
against the ppc library or vice-versa?

Does the error change when you use the latest version of MVAPICH
(http://www.openfabrics.org/~rowland/ofed_1_3/)?

I really think you'd be better off asking this question on a more
specific mailing list as there will be many more people there who will
have tried this and know whether it is actually possible, e.g.