Re: [rhelv5-list] How to keep current release level.

I don't see why 5.1 can't just be used.  Is there really enough difference that you know of thats stopping you?

On Dec 30, 2007 7:41 PM, Sharpe, Sam J < sam sharpe imperial ac uk> wrote:

> I've recently installed RHEL5.0 on 15 Fujitsu RX200S3 boxes.
> For reasons of support (Fujitsu Computer Systems does not
> support RHEL5.1 yet), I need to keep the systems at release
> level 5.0. I want to update the boxes to the most current
> pkgs within release 5.0. Is there a way to configure yum
> to update *within* the current release level but *not* to
> upgrade to 5.1?

There is no such thing at the moment (at least not that I can
see in RHN). As soon as you add a single update, it is no longer
technically 5.0, it is e.g. 5.0.0.1.

There was lots of talk about having separate update channels for
each point release, such that you could have a system subscribed
to the 4.2.X updates channel and it would be RHEL4.2 with
critical updates only. A vendor could then choose to support
e.g. RHEL4.2.X

I haven't seen any sign of that system being introduced yet...
perhaps it is slated for a future release. I haven't been paying
any real attention as I'm very cavalier about feeding higher
point releases to other applications, doubtless someone else
will be more informative!

But anyway, the answer for you I think is no. You can install a
system at 5.0, but there is no route to get selective updates.

--
Sam