Re: [rhelv5-list] Regular Expressions on RHEL 5

On Dec 31, 2007 11:41 AM, Collins, Kevin [MindWorks]
<KCollins chevron com> wrote:
> Why are you so insistant that the '2>&1' is misplaced? It is perfectly
> well placed for its purpose, which is to allow the processing of stderr
> but not stdout by the pipeline.

Because it generally serves no purpose where it is and would behave
exactly the same without it? Often this order of redirection indicates
a misunderstanding so I think people are just trying to get the OP to
think carefully about what the redirection is intended to accomplish.