-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:rhelv5-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of inode0
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2007 11:38 AM
To: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (Tikanga) discussion mailing-list
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] Regular Expressions on RHEL 5

On Dec 31, 2007 1:28 PM, Collins, Kevin [MindWorks]
<KCollins chevron com> wrote:
> It would NOT behave the same. The stderr is not sent thru the pipe
> without that redirection. See below:

Correct, it is not the same in this case. I was suggesting that in
most cases the behavior is the same.

> Please note (as I said in previous messages), that the redirection
> (whether understood by the script's author or not) is doing what it
was
> intended to do: process the stderr and not the stdout in the pipeline.

Yes it was. Yes you are correct. I was just offering a reason that it
raised some eyebrows ...