Re: [rhelv5-list] How to keep current release level.

On Sun, December 30, 2007 6:52 pm, Camron W. Fox wrote:
> It's a question of support. FSC does not support 5.1 (yet), even though
> the hardware actually comes from Fujitsu-Siemens, who *does* support it.
> FSC has told me in no uncertain terms that I will be SOL if something
> breaks or I need support for anything and the box is running 5.1.

I'd ask for clarification or escalation on this.  This is just an
unconscionable and untenable position for any hardware manufacturer to
take, and could just be the poorly informed opinion of some lower-level
support tech.  For one thing, it puts you in a catch-22: don't you give up
RedHat support if you are not uptodate ? (I'm not sure, but I'd guess so.)
 It also obliges you to run your systems in a potentially insecure state.
Typically, hardware manufacturers certify an OS, e.g. RHEL5 (not a
particular update level), certainly Dell and IBM do this.  Not sure this
is the appropriate document, but a support matrix at:
<http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/PRMRGY/support-matrix.pdf>
does not mention update levels for the various RHEL releases, for what
it's worth.

-Ed