Re: [rhelv5-list] Re: Server No Longer A Superset of Desktop?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Göran Uddeborg wrote:

But if you want them, you can still get them from other repositories.

If I have to put it together and support it myself, I don't have to
use RHEL in the first place.

Sure.  But there's a helluva difference between having support on your
server (with the exception of OpenOffice.org) and having no support at
all on your server.  Redhat can't hope to support everything, so they
produce a set of supported packages, and you're on your own for the
rest.  There's no reason it has to be "all or nothing" like you
present it.

All of our RHEL servers have software on them from other repositories.
If something goes wrong with, say, AIDE, on one of our RHEL machines,
I know Redhat won't support it.  Oh well.  That's not what I pay
Redhat for; I pay them to support the packages they say they'll
support.  Similarly, if OpenOffice.org borks on your DNS server, you
just won't get Redhat to fix it.  No one's forbidding you from
installing it in the first place.

I actually see this as a blessing in disguise.  By limiting
the number of packages Redhat will support on a given product line,
they're saving money and, Lord willing, passing that savings on.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University
Never send mail to thobrux nebrwesleyan edu