Re: [rhelv5-list] rhn_applet/needed-packages.py replacement?

On 3/20/07, Christopher McCrory <chrismcc pricegrabber com> wrote:
On Tue, March 20, 2007 2:12 pm, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 02:07:14PM -0700, Christopher McCrory wrote:
>
>> In rhel3 and rhel4 there was a python script,
>> /usr/share/rhn/rhn_applet/needed-packages.py that would xmlrpc connect
>> rhn and show any updates that are needed on the local server.  I used
>> that
>> as a quick and dirty way to verify that servers were current with any
>> errata.  This script seems to have gone away.  Is there a replacement I
>> am
>> missing?  Or has someone come up with a quick and dirty hack to compare
>> xmlrpc.rhn against the local packages?
>
> Doesn't "yum check-update" do what you want?

It would if the server was registered with RHN (paid for but not
registered).  Many of my servers have extremely small installs with local
customizations.  Using the RHN updates causes me more problems than it
solves.  As in a RHN update would overwrite and/or mask my local packages.
 "That would be bad".

We find ourselves occasionally with the unavoidable requirement of
replacing base redhat packages with highly customized ones too
(sendmail being one example). Is this the sort of situation you have?

We generally register the server and put the conflicting packages on
skiplists so they don't get clobbered. Then the rest of the base
system gets security and other updates from RHN as usual.

Perhaps that won't work effectively in your situation. We have found
it works ok for us.