Re: [rhelv5-list] WLan setup RHEL5.1, Samsung X11 - IntelPro 3945ABG

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 20:22 +0100, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to set up a wlan connection with my samsung x11 notebook. I
> followed the rh docs, but can't find any information solving the problem.
>
> googling confused me a little bit, as I found information to use/install
> the driver from http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/ (or some public
> repositories, e.g. http://atrpms.net/dist/el5/)
>
> Some other resources show some hints to iwlwifi.
>
> My simple question: is the wlan card supported by RH 5.1 and how may I
> set it up? Or do I have to install drivers from a different source first?
>
> Any how to yet :-)?

Redhat KB has an article at
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_40_11044.shtm that might be useful.

One little twist, the drivers that the FAQ refers to are somewhat old.
There were much newer ones available in the "Supplementary Beta" channel
a few weeks ago, however, that channel is now empty but the newer
drivers didn't make their way into the standard "Supplementary" channel
for some reason.  Hopefully they will soon.

I'm still running the ones I downloaded from the Supplementary Beta
channel some weeks ago and they work fine.  There were as follows:

ipw3945d-1.7.22-2.el5.i386.rpm
ipw3945-ucode-1.14.2-1.el5.noarch.rpm
kmod-ipw3945-1.2.0-4.8.el5.i686.rpm

I have no idea why these haven't made it from the Supplementary Beta
channel to the normal Supplementary channel.

Later,
Tom