Re: [rhelv5-list] XFS with RHEL5?

On Nov 24, 2007 1:55 AM, Joe (Mobile) <joemobil gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're planning to setup a new backup server with an fibrechannel
> connected storage array. The initial size of the array will be about
> 15TB with an estimated grow to about 50TB within the next few years.
> The backup software (IBM Tivoli) does not have any problems with
> handling so much space, however there is still the question of what
> filesystem to use for the array.
>
> Usually my server filesystem of choice is XFS (most servers being
> Fedora), since ext3 has a very poor performance with large directories
> as well as with some tasks like error recovery and formatting. Also
> the size limitations of ext3 (the backup server is a x86 system) make
> it pretty much impossible to use for this setup. Thus I'd like to
> operate the array with XFS, but I could not find any mention of XFS
> being available on RHEL5.
>
> So my question: are there official XFS packages (kernel module and
> tools) available for RHEL5? And if not, where could I get them and how
> could I install them? Or is there any alternative filesystem included
> with RHEL5 that can safely handle so much data?

I can answer part of your query:

1) xfs is not available on RHEL from Red Hat.

2) xfs can be tried from CentOS linux in the forms of kmod items in
their centosplus area:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/centosplus/

Scientific linux might also have stuff.
https://www.scientificlinux.org/download/

Adding this ot an RHEL kernel is at your own risk.. how stable your
data will be is also up to you to test and configure. There are no
guarentees, but you might be able to find out if SGI or some ex-SGI
people will do contract work to support it.