[rhelv5-list] Inconsistent CLI expansion

Ok, maybe I missed a memo 5-10 years ago, but why does
# ls [A-Z]*
And
# ls | grep [A-Z]
give different results (the filenames are either upper or lower case - not
mixed in the example).

Why does [A-Z] mean AbBcCdD in ls while it means ABCD in grep?

Is there any ls command switch that sorts in 01..89AB..YZab..yz order
instead of aAbBcC order? Would this cause the first ls command to work if
there was? (work defined as give me the uppercase filenames)

I grew up on Motorola unix and SCO and they sorted listings in ascii value
order. Migrating that to linux caught this unanticipated feature.

Bill Watson
bill magicdigits com