Re: [rhelv5-list] rhel5 64bit laptop

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 17:33 +0000, Greg_Swift aotx uscourts gov wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 16:04 +0000, Greg_Swift aotx uscourts gov wrote:
<snip>
> > > i've been playing with an HP 6910p, but keep getting IRQ conflicts with
> the
> > > keyboard, sd card, and wireless.
<snip>
> > All in all it's a pretty good Laptop for Linux. I've got it running
> > Fedora 10 at the moment - KVM virtual machines (I have a pair running)
> > seem fine and it generally works as well as my desktop.
<snip>
> Goes back to the whole "We run RHEL5 internally" issue.  My desktop is
> Fedora, but I'm special *chuckle*, and the laptops aren't for me.

Ah yes, that old chestnut. We also prefer that our internal customers
run RHEL because the added stability gives us less headaches, however we
have an almost identically configured Fedora 10 install they can request
if they wish. We insist that publically available machines (teaching
clusters for example) run RHEL.

Internally all our servers run RHEL or Solaris, but that's not
considered a barrier to offering something different on the desktop.
About 10 out of 900 desktops are using Fedora I think, last time I
checked the stats.

However all the "enhancements" I did to our RHEL install to support
laptops (disable network logins, set local accounts and passwords,
enable NetworkManager, preset WiFi and VPN etc.) haven't been ported to
our Fedora install - that's remarkably effective in keeping those pesky
laptop users away from my pretty pretty Fedora ;o)

--
Sam