Re: [rhelv5-list] How to keep current release level.

Jussi Silvennoinen wrote:
I have personally experienced a situation with a big bunch of servers where a FSC box running RHEL4U2 happily slows to a crawl when upgraded to RHEL4U3 or newer. Reason being certain MPT Fusion driver versions and Fujitsu MAW-drives with 5201/5202 firmware.

A historical incident like this could somewhat explain a play-it-safe policy supporting only 5.0. But FSC should be helped to understand ("in no uncertain terms") that they can essentially kiss the linux market for their servers goodbye with such a policy, unless they can explain a current technical basis, especially when it is at odds with the actual hardware manufacturers policy (hard to understand an organizational structure that allows manufacturing and support services to have divergent policies on this). I believe there were 5 interim kernel updates for 5.0, so it makes little sense to say we support 5.0 but not 5.1, rather than a particular kernel version, if drivers are the issue.

If FSC can't provide technical reasons for refusing support for a server at 5.1, and especially if a users testing (yours, Camron's...) shows no issues, an appropriate 'technical' solution to the support problem, might be to exclude redhat-release from updating in yum.conf. It's not really running 5.1 is it, if redhat-release doesn't say so.

-Ed