[rhelv5-list] fqdn in the /etc/sysconfig/network HOSTNAME variable

Hello list,

Installation of the CA-unicenter agents used to monitor my servers fails if
HOSTNAME is set to FQDN in /etc/sysconfig/network.

This is due to a limitation in CA. According to the CA-documentation the
hostname can be maximum 26 characters long, but in my case the
hostnames can exceed 35 characters!

The RHEL Deployment guide (system -> documentation -> deployment
guide) says this about HOSTNAME:

"HOSTNAME=<value>, where <value> should be the Fully Qualified Domain
Name (FQDN) such as hostname.example.com, but can be whatever hostname
is necessary."

I can solve this problem by changing HOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/network to
HOSTNAME=hostname

and adding in /etc/hosts
192.168.1.10   hostname.example.com hostname

Then the installation of the CA-agents can be performed sucessfully.

Do you know if the RH practice of storing the fqdn in HOSTNAME is
common practice and sensible? or is it better to use only the hostname
in HOSTNAME and add the fqdn to /etc/hosts?

Thanks,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud